This recipe was originally published on October 24, 2015 and has been modified and updated for our new website.
Serves: 2 people
Mexican Rice Ingredients
1 cup of long grain rice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 skinless vine tomatoes
1 garlic clove
1/2 white onion
1/3 cup organic tomato purée
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Kosher salt and pepper
Preparing the rice
Place the rice in a bowl and cover it with water.
Let it soak for 20 minutes. Strain it and keep it on the side, while you prepare your tomato mix.
The tomato mix or recaudo is a basic recipe that is very common in Mexican homes. It's the base for a lot of soups, salsas and red rice. It's basically the mix of peeled vine tomatoes, garlic and white onion. Blend it really well. There is no need to add water.
Add olive oil or canola oil to a sauce pan.
Heat up the pan and add your rice.
Give it a good stir. You want to fry it a little bit, but don't let it get burned.
Once this is done, add your recaudo and your tomato purée.
Let it cook a little bit.
Add a cup of chicken or vegetable stock and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Cover it with a lid and simmer it on low heat until cooked.
Add a bit more stock if you think you need it.
Yields: 4 eggs
Preparing the eggs
- Boil water in a deep sauce pan with just enough water to cover four eggs.
- Prepare a bowl with loads of ice and water.
- Once your water is boiling, add your eggs. Boil for 5 minutes or 5 1/2 if you like a less runny yolk.
- Once they are ready, place them in the iced water and allow them to cool off to stop the cooking process.
- Add four cups of canola oil in a deep pan and take the temperature with a kitchen thermometer until it reaches 374 degrees Farenheit. Then it is ready for frying.
shop food & snacks
- Plain flour mix (for gluten-free Cup 4 Cup)
- Salt and pepper
- Whisked egg
- Grated serrano chile
- Finely chopped cilantro (mixed really well).
Frying the eggs
Place your eggs on a kitchen towel and pat them dry carefully.
Place your eggs in the flour, then the egg mix, and finally the breadcrumbs. Make sure it is coated evenly.
Once your oil is ready (give it a few turns with a spoon until it looks golden), fry an egg carefully.
Remove the egg from the oil and place it on kitchen paper.
Repeat the same process with the rest of the eggs.
Serve the eggs over your rice. cut them in half, and add fresh cilantro.
Follow Susana on Instagram
other posts you may love...
Book a Free Travel Consultation
Mexico in My Pocket has just launched a new consultation service for anyone looking for some help planning their next Mexico vacation. Our goal is to create a custom itinerary that will give you incredible memories!