Ajillo mushrooms are classic a dish. Traditionally brought over from Spain, Mexico adopted this recipe by combining it with dried chiles.
Ajillo mushrooms can quickly be prepared and contain a lot of flavor. You can also use the mushrooms as a topping for a variety of Mexican dishes. Whether you’re craving tacos, quesadillas, sopes, or even tostadas, this ajillo mushroom quesadilla recipe is the perfect opportunity to incorporate more vegetables into your Mexican dishes.
Ajillo Mushroom Quesadilla
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ajillo Mushroom Ingredients
- 4 cups mushrooms
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 chiles de árbol or 1 pasilla
Note: The quantity of the chiles can be adjusted al gusto. If you want the chiles to be less spicy, remove the veins and the seeds. This is where all of the spiciness lives.
3 parsley twigs
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas
- Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese
Note: If you can’t find Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese, use a cheese that is easy to melt.
Preparing the mushroom
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- Finely mince the garlic and the dried chile.
- Fry the garlic in olive oil on medium heat and add the minced dried chile. Make sure to be careful not to burn the garlic and chile.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, salt to taste.
- Cook the mushrooms on medium heat for about five minutes. Making sure they are cooked evenly.
- Add the parsley, making sure to combine them well and then, turn off the stove.
Preparing the quesadilla
- Heat the tortillas on a cast iron griddle or frying pan.
- Fill the tortillas with mushrooms and cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted. Use a spatula to fold the tortilla over. Flip the quesadilla. Making sure to cook the tortilla evenly on both sides. The tortilla should be browned slightly.
- Serve with red or green salsa and avocado.
If you don’t eat cheese, you can create an ajillo mushroom taco or use the ajillo mushrooms as a side dish.
Follow Carlos on Instagram
other posts you may love...
Book a Free Travel Consultation
Mexico in My Pocket has just launched a new consultation service for anyone looking for some help planning their next Mexico vacation. Our goal is to create a custom itinerary that will give you incredible memories!
Leave a comment