When I reflect back on my childhood, I remember my mom always creating a new dish on the weekends.
As a doctor, she worked at the hospital every day. So Saturday and Sunday was always about cooking, inviting friends and family over to have a fancy dinner or for a carne asada (grilled steak) in the backyard.
My mom always mixed flavors and textures. She loved everything with calabaza (squash or pumpkin). Calabaza soup, calabaza en tacha (piloncillo sauce) or salsa de pepitas de calabaza asadas (roasted pumpkin seeds salsa).
For Taco Tuesday, I have prepared these delicious vegetarian and vegan tacos filled with grilled zucchini and corn, roasted pumpkin seeds, avocado, and salsa. I added avocado to the salsa because everything is better with avocado.
Grilled Zucchini Corn Tacos with Salsa de Pepitas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yields: 8 tacos
- 2 large zucchinis, cut in long strips
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 small white onion
- 1/3 cup sour cream (Note: Substitute this with vegan cream.)
- 1 small serrano chile (or any other hot chile pepper)
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup water
Preparing the salsa
- Bring a pan to medium heat
- Toast the pumpkin seeds. Make sure to turn them constantly and avoid burning them
- Blend all the salsa ingredients together
- Add a bit more water if the mixture is too stiff
Preparing the tacos
- Bring a frying pan to medium-high heat
- Place the zucchini strips and grill them on both sides
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the zucchini strips when done
- Add the corn into the same frying pan and grill until they are charred
- Take the corn out when done
- Pair the corn and zucchini strips with warm tortillas and add salsa on top
- Garnish with avocado slices and some roasted pumpkin seeds
Follow Koral House on Instagram
other posts you may love...
Book a Free Travel Consultation
Mexico in My Pocket has just launched a new consultation service for anyone looking for some help planning their next Mexico vacation. Our goal is to create a custom itinerary that will give you incredible memories!
Leave a comment