Flan is a traditional Mexican dessert resembling custard pudding. While it’s sweet and delicious, it can be pretty heavy for those who like to eat healthily since it traditionally contains cow’s milk as well as white sugar and eggs.
Our Mexican flan recipe is a healthy alternative that’s just as tasty. Not only does it use lighter ingredients, but it doesn’t require baking.
We have opted to make Mexican flan with coconut milk. The tastiest option is to scoop out the flesh of a fresh, whole coconut and blend it with water. Otherwise, you can buy ready prepared coconut milk.
This Mexican flan recipe also contains agar, a jelly-like substance which is made from algae. Although it may not sound appetizing, it gives it a convincing custard-like texture. You can visit Asian supermarkets or health food stores to find agar powder or flakes.
Coconut Mexican Flan
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes + overnight
Total Time: 50 minutes + overnight
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 3 cups fresh of readymade coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons agar powder or 3 tablespoons of agar flakes
- 3/4 cup agave or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract (or pulp from a vanilla pod)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar or organic sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon water
Preparation the caramel
Place the water and sugar in a saucepan and stir constantly over a low heat until the sugar is liquified. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
Pour the hot caramel into a round glass dish (such as Pie Pyrex) then divide the mixture into smaller glass or ceramic bowls.
Use a spoon to spread the caramel until it’s evenly distributed. Do this straight away because caramel quickly solidifies.
Preparation the flan
- Add the coconut milk and agar (flakes or powder) to a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and stir for 5 minutes at a reduced heat, ensuring the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in the syrup (maple or agave), turmeric, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Let cool on a metal rack. If the agar hasn’t properly dissolved, you can use a blender to help it along.
- Pour into a caramel dish and leave to solidify in a refrigerator, overnight if possible.
- Serve your delicious Mexican flan on a favorite plate.
shop food & snacks
How to Make Coconut Milk at Home
Ingredients for creamy coconut milk
- 2 whole ripe coconuts
- 3 cups water
Preparing the creamy coconut milk
Place one coconut in a cloth or plastic bag and smash onto the floor. Check it has broken into 3-4 pieces. Do this for the second coconut also.
Scoop out the flesh using a butter knife.
Chop the coconut meat into chunks, add the water and blend at a high speed until smooth.
Use a fine-mesh sieve to strain the mixture. Press the remaining milk out of the pulp with a spatula.
Place the used pulp onto a cheesecloth and collect the ends. Squeeze the rest of the milk into the mixture.
Follow Mango y Chile on Instagram.
other posts you may love...
Book a Free Travel Consultation
Mexico in My Pocket has just launched a new consultation service for anyone looking for some help planning their next Mexico vacation. Our goal is to create a custom itinerary that will give you incredible memories!
Leave a comment