Mexican Brownies with Abuelita Chocolate & Chile
The combination of chocolate and chile is one that will never grow old, especially within Mexican culture.
The sweetness that comes with the first bite, then the quick hit of spice makes any dessert even more addicting.
But why does this combination work so well? The heat from the chile amplifies the flavor and aroma of the chocolate, therefore creating an even more delicious dessert.
Traditionally we have seen this pairing in hot chocolate, cakes, and churros, and now we have a new recipe for chocolate and chile brownies.
To make these brownies, follow the instructions below!
shop food & snacks
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons of Abuelita chocolate
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground Mexican cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pequin chili powder or cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. (Use enough parchment paper so the edges hang over the pan)
- Press the paper into the corners of the pan and lightly grease the paper with butter.
- Melt the two sticks of butter in a nonstick saucepan over medium-low heat; do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla to the saucepan and stir it with a wooden spoon until it's combined.
- Crush the Abuelita chocolate until it's in a powder form; add the cocoa, flour, cinnamon, chili powder, salt and baking powder and mix it until smooth.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake it until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out "fudgy", 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool in the pan on a rack.
- Use the parchment paper to lift out the brownies before slicing.
Follow Marcos on Instagram
Book a Free Travel Consultation
Mexico in My Pocket has just launched a new consultation service for anyone looking for some help planning their next Mexico vacation. Our goal is to create a custom itinerary that will give you incredible memories!
Leave a comment