Rainbow CoastersRegular price $25.00
*PLEASE NOTE: ESTIMATED FULFILLMENT FOR THIS PRODUCT IS MID APRIL.
These rainbow coasters are made from the henequen plant––one of the most important fibers in Mexico––by artisans in Yucatán. The artisans use natural dyes made from trees, plants, fruits, coffee, and flowers to create the vibrant colors.
- Collecting Fibers: The artisans cut leaves from the henequen plant and use a stick to remove the fibers.
- Dying the Fibers: The artisans boil water in a pot and add pieces of wood, plants, flowers, fruits, etc. to dye the fibers naturally.
- Designing each piece: The Mayan artisans use their experience and imagination to create each design. Sometimes they use examples from previous designs, but most of the time they use techniques passed down from generation to generation in order to create the combinations and patterns.
- Braiding, Twisting, and Sewing: Henequen thread can be braided into bags or twisted and sewn into tortilla baskets, cup holders, etc. using a backstrap loom or a combination of other techniques.
Please Note: Please allow 4-6 weeks for orders to be processed and fulfilled. You will receive an email with tracking info once your order is on the way. Due to COVID-19, there may also be shipping delays.
All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges will be given on any purchases at this time.
- Dimensions: 4.33 inches in diameter
- Includes a set of 6 coasters
- Each coaster is handmade so colors and designs can slightly vary.