Discover the Magic of Zapotec Culture: Textile Workshop, Energy Cleansing, and Transportation IncludedRegular price $135.00
Learn how traditional Zapotec rugs are made with Huella Carmin, which is run by an indigenous Zapotec family.
Why We Love This Class:
On one of Luisa’s visits to Oaxaca she met Rey David. Rey David is one of the designers and artists of Huella Carmin.
His family, the Vásquez, value preserving ancestral traditions and have been creating one-of-a-kind Zapotec rugs for five generations.
Within minutes of meeting Rey David, Luisa felt en casa (right at home) as she was offered pan de muerto (day of the dead bread) and mezcal.
About The Vasquez Family: Inspired by their Zapotec culture, the Vásquez family has worked hard to preserve their ancestral techniques and traditional designs, while also creatively expanding their offerings to other products like dog beds and hats.
Creating new Zapotec-style textiles has allowed them to expand their consumer reach and attract new audiences, especially during the pandemic.
About The Tour: Students will learn the step-by-step process that it takes to make a Zapotec rug. Rey David will also show you and let you experience what it's like to use a pedal loom.
Upon arrival, guests will be greeted with an energy cleaning and they will also get a chance to taste two ancestral and traditional drinks from the town.
- Energy cleansing
- Shots of wild mezcal. Please Note: Guest must be of legal drinking age in Mexico (18 years) to be served alcohol.
- Ancestral drink tasting.
- Organic Oaxacan chocolate from the region tasting.
- Spinning wheel + pedal loom demonstration.
- $25 credit to the store on purchases of $100 or more.
- PLEASE NOTE: This package includes transportation to and from your hotel.
Are the classes available in English? Yes, Rey David will have a translator present during class so that English speakers can also participate and learn.
- Transportation will be provided to and from Oaxaca City if selected at checkout.
- Each class lasts approximately 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Classes can be scheduled Mondays-Fridays from 9 a.m - 5 p.m.; Some Saturday availability as well. Please add your preferred date and time in the order notes.
- *Guest must be of legal drinking age in Mexico (18 years old) to be served alcohol.
- Maximum of 10 guests can attend.
- For larger private bookings of up to 20 guests, please specify in the order notes so we can make proper accommodations.
- Parents can also bring children under 2 years of age.
- All participants must wear a protective face covering and practice social distancing.