Tortilla Soup with Chili Ancho Tortilla Chips
- 2 big fresh poblano peppers
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 handfuls of cilantro
- 1 handful of parsley
- 2 1/4 cups (500 ml) water
- 67.6 oz. (2 lt.) organic chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cans of organic Cannellini beans
- 25 chili ancho tortillas or regular ( Check octopus tacos for the recipe)
- 1/2 avocado
- 8.8 oz (250 gms) of Oaxaca cheese
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 1 cup of creme fraiche
- 1 cup of thinly shaved radish
- Maldon salt and black pepper to season
- 2-3 limes
- Wash your poblano peppers and cut the stems off.
- Cut your poblano in big chunks and place it in the blender.
- Add your white onion, garlic cloves, 1 handful of cilantro with the stems, 1 handful of parsley, and water to the blender. Blend really well.
- Get a deep saucepan ready and place a fine mesh sieve on top of the pan.
- Pour the poblano-herb mixture through the sieve and into the pan.
- Press your liquid well with the help of a spoon (until there is no more liquid left and just the remaining pulp).
- Add your chicken broth to the bright green liquid.
- Bring the liquid mixture to a boil and season it with Maldon salt and black pepper.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and reduce the flame to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for 30-45 minutes at least, until the flavors concentrate.
- After 20 minutes of cooking add your Cannellini beans, and continue simmering.
- Cut your tortillas in thin strips or triangles.
- Get a frying pan ready with canola oil and heat it up.
- Once the oil is hot, fry small batches of tortilla strips until they are crispy.
- Let the tortilla strips cool down over a paper towel and absorb the excess oil.
- Cut your avocado in cubes.
- Peel your Oaxaca cheese apart to create string-like pieces.
- Finely dice your red onion.
- Shave your radishes.
- Taste your soup and make sure it is well seasoned.
- Scoop the soup into deep bowls.
- Add crispy chili ancho tortillas on top, a bit of avocado, red onion, Oaxaca cheese, radish, cilantro, and a spoonful of cream fraiche.
- Cut your limes and serve on the side.