Recipe submitted by Mango y Chile - a plant based Mexican kitchen food blog.
Flan is a sweet, custard-like pudding that is traditional in Mexico. The original recipe uses cow’s milk or condensed cow’s milk, eggs and white sugar. Sounds heavy and not very healthy, agree? So here we bring you an evolved flan recipe that will surprise you of how easy it is to make plus delicious and super healthy. And you do not even have to bake it!
This delectable flan is made with coconut milk. You can either buy it already prepared or make it fresh using a whole coconut by scooping out the flesh and blending it with water (recipe at the bottom). Homemade coconut milk is without a doubt the best!
It also contains Agar, a jelly-like substance obtained from marine algae, perfect to give it that custard-like texture. You can find Agar in flakes or powder in health food stores and Asian supermarkets.
- 3 cups of coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp of agar flakes or 2 Tbsp agar powder
- ¾ cup of Maple syrup or Agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp of natural vanilla extract of good quality or pulp of 1 vanilla pod
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
For the caramel
- ½ cup of coconut sugar or organic sugar
- ½ Tbsp water
How to prepare
For the caramel
Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and melt, stirring constantly until liquefied, without burning it. Immediately and with care pour the hot caramel into the bottom of a round glass dish (Pie Pyrex) or divide into individual small glass or ceramic bowls, and with a spoon spread it quickly on the bottom so the caramel is evenly distributed. Remember caramel solidifies very fast, so be quick.
For the Flan
• In a medium saucepan, add the coconut milk and the agar.
• Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly so it does not stick.
• Remove from heat. Add the Maple or Agave syrup, vanilla, turmeric and sea salt and stir well.
• Let it cool on a metal rack.
• Once its cool, only if necessary, blend the milk mixture in a blender if the agar didn’t dissolve well.
• Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared caramel dish. Refrigerate until solidified, preferably over night.
• Flip onto a plate and serve!
* CREAMY COCONUT MILK – HOMEMADE RECIPE:
You will need 2 whole ripe coconuts and 3 cups of water. Put one coconut at a time in a plastic or cloth bag and smash on the floor until it crack into at least 3 or 4 pieces, each one. Open and scoop the flesh out using a butter knife. Chop the coconut in small pieces and place in a high-speed blender with the 3 cups of filtered water and blend for a few minutes until smooth. Strain the blend through a fine mesh sieve into a pot, pressing the pulp with a spatula to strain all of the milk out. Place the pressed pulp on a cheesecloth, collect the ends to form a bag and squeeze with your hands the rest of the milk into the pot.