Homemade Apple Bread 'Pan Casero'
Dolores "Lola" Wiarco Dweck from Lola's Cocina was kind enough to share this recipe for homemade apple bread with MIMP! Make sure to visit her website for more amazing Mexican food recipes!
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil work well)
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs
3 cups green apple chopped into small cubes
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish and then set it aside. I like to use a combination of butter and flour to grease my dish.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, clove, and baking powder.
- Using a hand mixture, gradually add in oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Once dry and wet ingredients are well blended after approximately 60 seconds, add chopped apples, raisins, and chopped nuts. Mix for another 45 seconds or until all ingredients are well blended.
- Add mixture to greased baking dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for one hour, or until you are able to insert a toothpick into the middle and the bread and it comes out clean. At this point, the top of your bread should be somewhat crispy, but the inside will remain moist.
- Allow to cool, and then slowly invert onto a separate rectangular dish. Use a butter knife to loosen the edges before flipping it.
- Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, sliced apples, and a drizzle of honey.