Rustic Mash with Smoked Chorizo
Susana, once again, has transformed a traditional dish; this time she's taken classic sweet potatoes to the next level. The good news is...It's super simple and all you need is a little Spanish chorizo and butternut squash.
This rustic mash is perfect to serve guests right before dinner at a holiday party. Prep it in advance, pop open a bottle of prosecco or champagne and pair the sweet-smoky goodness with some warm corn tortillas! It's different, has that something extra, and will certainly start the conversation when guests ask what you mixed into it.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 butternut squash
- 150 gms / 10 tbsp smokey Spanish chorizo
1. Cut your sweet potatoes and your butternut squash in half. Add some olive oil on top and roast until the pulp goes soft.
2. Finely chop 2 garlic cloves and 1/2 an onion.
3. Add oil to a sauce pan and heat it up, then add your garlic and onion and stir until they go soft.
4. Take your baking tray out of the oven and scoop the purée out of your sweet potatoes.
5. Place the roasted butternut squash on your onion garlic mixture, as well as the potatoes.
6. Mash it up really well and add a splash of olive oil and heavy cream. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and keep mixing it with a wooden spoon until your purée is ready and it doesn't stick on the sides of the pan.
(Note: You don't want a super smooth purée but not lumpy either)
7. Chop your smoked chorizo in small squares. Fry them in a pan with sprigs of fresh thyme.
8. Serve your mash with the chorizo thyme on top and some of the oil.