Spicy Tortilla Soup
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of cotija cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or heavy cream (the salty flavor of Greek yogurt works beautifully with this recipe)
- 1-2 limes
- 1 chile guajillo
- 2 chile pasilla
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 skinless tomatoes
- 1 lt or 4 cups of chicken stock or vegetable stock
- sea salt and black pepper
- Start by giving a quick fry to your dry chiles pasilla and guajillo. Add a bit of oil to a frying pan and quickly toast your chiles on both sides. Don't let them burn because this will give a bitter taste to your soup. When ready, place them on a plate and set aside.
- Now chop your onion roughly, 2 of the tortillas, your skinless tomatoes, and peel your garlic clove.
- Add a bit of canola oil to a deep sauce pan and fry your garlic, onion, and tortillas. Once your onion has softened, add your tomatoes.
- Stir continuously and until your tomatoes cook a little bit. Add 1 of your toasted chile pasillas and your chile guajillo. Add your chicken stock, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Let it boil and then turn off the flame.
- Blend the mix with a hand blender or pour the mixture into a blender and pulse until completely mixed and until you get a smooth soup. Then put it back on the sauce pan or just turn on the heat.
- Cover the mixture with a lid and simmer your broth for at least another 45 minutes. This is so important because like my Mum says, 'the soup just tastes better when you let it boil longer.' The flavors integrate better.
- In the meantime, cut your corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Prepare a frying pan with plenty of canola oil. Heat it up and fry your corn tortilla strips until crispy. Do this in batches and place them in a paper towel when they are ready to get rid of the excess oil.
- Cut your avocado in cubes or thin slices. Finely chop your toasted pasilla chile for garnish. Prepare your cotija cheese, cut your limes, and get your cream or yogurt to garnish your soup.
- Serve the broth in a bowl. Add your crispy tortillas on top, avocado slices, some cotija cheese, a spoonful of cream, your crumbled chile pasilla and a little bit of lime juice.